Power Trends: The Video
June 26, 2019
Our Power Trends 2019 report explains how the grid is evolving with the addition of wind, storage, and how the New York ISO is uniquely equipped to reliably manage a grid in transition.
In four brief segments, NYISO President and CEO, Rich Dewey describes the state of the grid and our response to state policies promoting increasingly ambitious environmental goals.
Intro to Power Trends
- Our mission of serving the public interest by maintaining grid reliability, operating fair and competitive energy markets, planning for the future and providing independent, factual information for stakeholders and investors
- Key challenges, trends and opportunities associated with reliability and a greener grid
Demand & Resource Trends
- Energy trends, forecasts and forecasting data on New York electricity usage and demand through 2029
- New technology impacts including electric vehicle usage, storage forecasts and regional trends by fuel type
State of the Grid, Supply & Fuel Mix
- Data representing New York's diverse fuel mix and the individual capacity characteristics of each fuel type
- The distinct difference in update/downstate supply and demand; "The Tale of Two Grids"
- The need for investment in transmission to move clean energy from update, where it is produced, to downstate, where consumption is highest
Public Policy & the Grid
- The role is competitive wholesale markets and comprehensive system planning in reducing emissions and supporting public policy objectives
- How markets, combined with price signals and efficiency, reinforce grid reliability
- The importance of adequate infrastructure to utilize clean energy to its full advantage
Get the report, review supporting material, and download figures and graphics on the Power Trends 2019: Reliability and a Greener Grid web page.