PRESS RELEASE | NYISO Suspends In-Person Stakeholder Meetings in Response to COVID-19
Meetings will be held by teleconference. Additional measures taken in accordance with the NYISO's pre-existing Pandemic Response Plan.
Rensselaer, NY - The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) today announced the indefinite suspension of all in-person stakeholder meetings in order to protect staff and visitors from exposure to the novel coronavirus or COVID-19. All stakeholder meetings will be conducted via teleconference until further notice.
“First, let me assure all New Yorkers that we are prepared for this situation and have procedures in place to ensure business continuity and the reliability of the bulk electric system,” said Rich Dewey, President and CEO of the New York Independent System Operator. “As outlined in our Pandemic Response Plan, we are temporarily moving all in-person stakeholder meetings to teleconference out of an abundance of caution and to protect the health and safety of our staff, stakeholders and visitors.”
Additional steps the NYISO has taken
- Instituted regular monitoring of alerts from the Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization and the New York State Department of Health
- Suspended non-essential business travel and all business travel to countries with a State Department Travel Advisory Level of 3 or higher
- Pre-screened employees for recent and upcoming personal travel by themselves or a member of their household to any countries with a State Department Travel Advisory Level of 3 or higher
- Require any employee who has recently traveled (either themselves or a member of their household) to any areas with a State Department Travel Advisory Level of 3 or higher to stay home for at least two weeks
- Issued communications to vendors and planned visitors requesting they not come on-site if they or a member of their household have traveled to any countries with a State Department Travel Advisory Level of 3 or higher within the prior 14 days
- Advised employees on tips they can take to minimize their exposure to COVID-19, including:
- Frequently wash your hands throughout the day and avoid contact with individuals who are sick
- Seek medical advice if you develop symptoms such as a cough, fever, or shortness of breath
- Follow existing NYISO policies regarding calling in sick and staying home if you are ill
In addition to the above outlined actions and updates to staff, stakeholders and visitors, the NYISO is in regular contact with federal and state regulators and government officials and is monitoring changes in accordance with its Pandemic Response Plan.